Saturday, October 01, 2005

I want to be a banker....

I think the stars are quickly aligning to tell me that it's time to switch over to the company-sponsored checking account! For years now, due to my attendance at FSU, I have been a member of SunTrust (plus, they are EVERYWHERE, so an ATM was always nearby). As a result of my recent trip, and the unique way in which the Asian industries choose to submit their receipts, I have been hit with over $200 of "insufficient funds" fees from the bank (Mind you, none of these were my fault, and the monies ARE there). I have already made one trip to the bank to speak to the manager, where I was informed that the best they could do for me, since it really wasn't my fault, was to wave $100 of the $128 from the first set of penalties (ooo....such a favor!). Now, I receive another one today in the mail for almost the same amount!!!! I log onto my account, and there appears to be NO reason was I was penalized....

To flesh out the first penalty story....while in Tokyo, I decided to rent a cell phone - yes, I can almost live without technology, but the real reason was just in case the Hong Kong team needed to get in touch with me about coming back to assist with the Grand Opening (a story I mentioned in an earlier post from overseas). Come to find out, which was not explained to me due to some language barrier, the cell phone company (who I'm calling out by name....VODAPHONE, YOU SUCK!!!), puts a hold on the card, just in case you run off with their phone....a $350 HOLD!!!!! Since this money is shown as "used", the bank charges you a penalty if you go over your amount (Yes, this all would have worked out much better had I been able to put it on my Credit Card, and not my Check Card, but the AmEx came back declined, so I had no choice....the AmEx was a problem child from time to time overseas as well...."everywhere you want to be?"....more like, "where they feel like being"...) So, that being said, I come home to find an e-mail from Vodaphone with my final bill....$186!!!!!! EXCUSE ME?! Another fine example of language barriers: I specifically asked the woman behind the counter how many minutes were included in my $5/day cell phone rental....she then pointed me to the sheet on the counter that said 200 minutes. Yeah....when the not-so-nice lady from customer service returned my e-mail of shock, she informed me that it was 200 yen per minute (which is about $2). Are you kidding me?! I would've purchased a calling card, year's worth of calls for that price!!!! I'm still in e-mail war with them, since they're based in Australia (hell if I'm making International calls anytime soon!)....they are currently in the ignorance phase of my demands....

1 Comments:

Blogger Fran said...

I got your e-mail and had a chance to read your entire blog. I wanted to say thanks for sharing it. I will check in daily. Anyway I just had to say you made my day today. I roared with laughter so hard I couldn't get my breath and had my family in a panic! (I don't mean to laugh at your situation but your sarcastic inter actions made it hilarious!)Not only cute but a comedian to. I can't wait till we meet in person! Love, Fran

11:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home